Monday, December 13, 2010

A brief introduction



There is a newspaper that runs my life, and while it may be a small publication, it has a stronghold on me. Once the semester starts back up again, my life will more than likely be consumed by it. In the meantime, it is Christmas break, and I have lots of wisdom teeth-removal recovery time and avoiding-applications time to devote to things pertaining to what I love: fashion. Be it the tiny town I live in, which is filled with a surprisingly vast array of stylish people to judge and admire, or the pages of the Vogue Best Dressed I recently bought, I believe in fashion’s ability to make my world and yours a better place… or at least better to look at.


While many of us have given up our magazine subscriptions for the more economical e-fashion world, there is still the occasional impulse purchase at the checkout counter (especially when it’s Blake Lively in a gold Reed Krakoff number). No doubt, you have noticed that the first, oh, ninety pages of every magazine are devoted to advertising space. This is something I understand. I understand that print media is soon to be extinct, and that revenue has to come from somewhere. And I understand that fashion retailers and designers have to make readers aware of their offerings. Which is why I am going to put this under the microscope.


Advertisements, either in print or onscreen, can be beautiful. Recall the stunning mini-movies directed by Baz Luhrmann for Chanel, and the quirky monochrome ads photographed by Juergen Teller for Marc Jacobs. They’re perfectly styled, and showcase the designers’ fare for those of us who can’t make it to New York Fashion Week. In the same way, ads can be oversexed, underwhelming, and a waste of a glossy page.


So this will be my general focus, save for the occasional rant about panty lines and Ugg boots in the dead of slushy Canadian winter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment